A few months have passed since I created this site on a DigitalOcean hosted VPS. I haven’t blogged much, but I’ve been making tweaks behind the scenes to see what affects performance and what doesn’t. Some of that takes time as I’ll make a tweak and wait a few days to see what impact it had, and then I’ll make another tweak.
I’ve also swapped themes. The original theme was the standard Genesis Framework theme, and I wanted to see if the Genesis Framework with child themes impacted performance at all. So I wrote a clone of that theme using Underscores.me as the base.
(Looking at my Pingdom response time history below you can see when my W3 Total Cache plugin was disabled. I believe that was when I installed the latest WordPress update. I don’t recall if I turned it off, or if the update did. But you can definitely see when I turned it back on.)
January 12th was when I installed my hand-built theme, and it’s performance is pretty much the same as the Genesis Framework theme, the pre-December 23rd measurements. Honestly I was kind of expecting my theme to be much faster. Overall it shaved a dozen or so milliseconds off, but I was expecting another big drop. I guess that goes to show how well put together the Genesis Framework is.